In February, the Federal Government appointed its steering committee to support the implementation of the National Food Waste Strategy.
The Food Waste Steering Committee will provide guidance and advice to Food Innovation Australia Limited (FIAL) as it develops a plan in 2018 that clearly sets out the actions to be taken to reduce Australia’s food waste over the short, medium and long term.
- Mr Geoffrey Annison, Deputy Chief Executive Officer, Australian Food and Grocery Council
- Dr Martin Cole, Deputy Director, CSIRO Agriculture and Food
- Mr Stephen Ferguson, Chief Executive Officer, Australian Hotels Association
- Mr John Harvey, Managing Director, AgriFutures Australia
- Ms Ronni Kahn, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, OzHarvest
- Ms Nerida Kelton, Executive Officer, Australian Institute of Packaging
- Mr Tim Lester, Executive Officer, Council of Rural R&D Corporations
- Dr Hermione Parsons, Director, Centre for Supply Chain and Logistics, Deakin University
- Dr Greg Picker, Executive Director, Refrigerants Australia
- Ms Fiona Simson, President, National Farmers’ Federation
- Mr Max Spedding, Chief Executive Officer, National Waste and Recycling Industry Council
- Mr Russell Zimmerman, Executive Director, Australian Retailers Association
Federal Government Environment Minister Josh Frydenberg said food waste has economic, environmental and social implications for all Australians – the estimated cost to our economy is $20 billion per year.
“It is unacceptable that a food rescue organisation is turning away over 65,000 people each month, yet we produce enough food to feed about 60 million people,” he said.
“The make-up of the committee recognises that tackling food waste requires a community-wide approach.”
“Members’ expertise spans the entire food supply and consumption chain and will help ensure that we meet our goal to halve Australia’s food waste by 2030.”
FIAL’s plan will be accompanied by a voluntary commitment program that will engage businesses and industries to reduce food waste as well as a National Food Waste Baseline so progress towards the food waste reduction goal can be monitored and tracked.