Individual excellence across Queensland’s waste and recycling industry was celebrated at WRIQ’s 2016 Industry Awards recently.
The nominees and winners were announced in front of more than 240 industry peers and invited guests at the WRIQ Annual Dinner in the main ballroom at Brisbane’s Hilton Hotel on 2 July.
Despite being the night of the Federal Election, Queensland Environment Minister Dr Steven Miles took time out of his packed schedule to attend the event and deliver the welcome address. He praised the advances in the waste and recycling industry in the state, as well as the commitment and professionalism of those involved in delivering and implementing services and improving resource recovery.
One of the aims of the WRIQ Annual Dinner was to raise funds for and awareness of the work of the association’s chosen charity, Mates4Mates. The organisation supports current and ex-serving Australian Defence Force members who have physical or psychological wounds, injuries or illnesses as a result of their service, and helps their families.
The guests heard from one retired servicemen, former commando and Mates4Mates Liaison Officer Tim Thomas, who talked about the organisation’s service and work. Mr Thomas also used a video in his presentation, which encouraged the guests to dig deep for this worthy cause.
Tim joined WRIQ CEO and representatives from the event sponsors in presenting the awards to the eight winners on the night. The full list of winners are as follows:
- Exceptional Industry Administrator: Emma Bolton, Bundaberg Regional Council
- Exceptional Industry Innovator: Jodie Hind, J.J. Richards & Sons Pty Ltd
- Exceptional Industry Apprentice/Cadet/Trainee: Jason Vincent, J.J. Richards & Sons Pty Ltd
- Exceptional Industry Safe & Professional Driver (Side Lift, Front Lift, Rear Lift Vehicle Category): Faizal Ismail, Veolia
- Exceptional Industry Safe & Professional Driver (Skip/Hook Lift, Multi Combination Vehicle Category): Nick Eldered, Suez
- Exceptional Industry Plant Operator: Bruce Hetherington, Gumdale Demolition Pty Ltd
- Exceptional Industry Safe & Professional Driver (Liquid and Vacuum Vehicle Category): James Whyte, Cleanaway
- Exceptional Industry Sales / Service Individual: Sheryl Paterson, Cleanaway.